Few would disagree that November and December are possibly the best months of the year what with all the holidays lined up to add layers of joy in our lives. While rejoicing in the festivities of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year is fine, we also shouldn’t let go of the idea of being a responsible global citizen; not at least now when a “good tomorrow” is uncertain with environmental degradation at its all time high.
Numbers show, between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve, household waste increases by more than 25 per cent. Another finding suggests that about 40 per cent of all the battery sales occur during the holiday season.
These facts, and more, hint the need to not to get carried away but be more responsible during the festive season, whether with what we’re consuming, using or gifting to the others. Here are 10 ways how-
- Invest in green recycling bin and stash in it everything that can be recycled (cans of colas, beers, batteries in particular).
- Dial waste management professionals for efficient bulky household waste collection and recycling.
- Avoid giving cards on Christmas and New Year; instead go with e-cards. (Fact: the 2.54 billion Christmas cards sold each year in the US could fill a football field 10 stories high.)
- Avoid plastic wrapping.
- When new clothes enter the wardrobe, the old ones usually get thrown away. Don’t do that! Donate your old sweaters, hoodies, tops and bottoms. Or send them to the recycling facilities.
- Reduce food waste. Cook or order as needed. Eat sustainable food, like organic veggies, fruits, meat and seafood.
- Use energy efficient lighting, whether for your house or Christmas decorations.
- Reduce the use of shopping bags. When out buying gifts and goodies, take with you reusable cloth bags.
- Don’t buy gifts that can’t be reused or recycle.
- While Christmas tree is essential for many, try investing in plants that can be replanted later.
These are 10 simple ways you can be more responsible this festive season with all the holiday waste. Remember, have professionals by your side. Today you can find many waste management companies who offer a wide range of services from household rubbish collection and recycling to green waste removal and more all under the same roof—and that at a very cheap price.